Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Agent of Rays prospect involved in fatal crash speaks
Posted Jan 26, 2010 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jan 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM
The agent for Rays prospect Andrew Bellatti spoke Tuesday about the fatal crash Jan. 22 involving his client.
According to the California Highway Patrol, the 18-year-old Bellatti drove his red Mustang across a double yellow line and into a mini-van driven by David Norman Reid and his son. Reid died and his son was severely injured.
“He’s devastated,” Bellatti’s agent Jonathan Weisz said. “His parents are devastated. I was with his parents (Monday) and to see his mother and father, they’re devastated because they understand that two families’ lives have changed forever.”
Bellatti was a 12th round pick who was 1-0 with a 3.38 ERA in 12 games, three starts, for the Gulf Coast League Rays.