Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
Agent of Rays prospect involved in fatal crash speaks
Posted Jan 26, 2010 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jan 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM
The agent for Rays prospect Andrew Bellatti spoke Tuesday about the fatal crash Jan. 22 involving his client.
According to the California Highway Patrol, the 18-year-old Bellatti drove his red Mustang across a double yellow line and into a mini-van driven by David Norman Reid and his son. Reid died and his son was severely injured.
“He’s devastated,” Bellatti’s agent Jonathan Weisz said. “His parents are devastated. I was with his parents (Monday) and to see his mother and father, they’re devastated because they understand that two families’ lives have changed forever.”
Bellatti was a 12th round pick who was 1-0 with a 3.38 ERA in 12 games, three starts, for the Gulf Coast League Rays.