Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
2011 an interesting year for fishing
Posted Dec 30, 2011 by Tribune Sports
Updated Dec 30, 2011 at 06:49 PM
BY BILLY NOBLES
With 2011 drawing to a close, what a year to remember. Changes in fisheries, rebounds of fisheries — what an interesting year. The sea trout are doing exceptionally well with large catches coming in daily. Live baits are working great but the real deal is artificials. Whether it’s the Mirro Lure Mirro dine, little john, or my favorite Mirro Lure, The Paul Brown Original, or DOA’s CAL, or world renowned shrimp. There are several other baits — The Berkley Gulp, Love Lures — you just have to find your personal favorite and run with it. One thing I am really glad to see is there are steady catches of pompano around the mouth of the bay. Talk about good eats; man, they are hard to beat.
Offshore, the grouper bite remains on fire for both red and gag. Gags are closed for some reason. It’s the same reason that our red fisheries opened and we receive a four-fish limit; bad science, but I digress. The kings are still around with surface water temps in the low 70s to high 60s. The amberjack and snapper bites remain on fire around several of the near shore and offshore wrecks; there is no finer light tackle action on the planet.
Remember those times on the water that made 2011 a memorable year for you and yours, and keep those memories close.