- Send Your Wishes To The New Administration
- Moffitt Among Quarterfinalists For Lott Award
- Two Women Thrown From Boat When It Hits I-75 Bridge
- Judge Imposes Stay On Lethal Injections
- Poll: More Coastal Residents Would Not Evacuate For Hurricane
- Robbers In Ninja Garb Strike Hampton Inn
- Deputy Is Accused Of Domestic Battery
- 2 Men Burst Into Home, Steal More Than $7,000
- Temple Terrace Man Wounded In Shooting
- Polk Deputies Charge 17 Men After Weekend Cockfight
- Baby Dropped Off At Fire Station
- Jury Awards $21.1 Million In Wrongful Birth Case
- Deputies Investigate Bank Robbery
- Grandpa Robbed; Grandson Charged
- Composite Sketch Of Armed Carjacker Released
By VALERIE KALFRIN
The Tampa Tribune
TAMPA - Police have charged a St. Petersburg Times reporter with misdemeanor driving under the influence, jail records show.
Eric Robert Gershman, 38, who also writes under the name Rick Gershman, was released from Orient Road Jail Wednesday on $500 bail, records show.
Tampa police arrested him about 5:25 a.m. at North Howard Avenue and West Kennedy Boulevard after watching him drive southbound on Howard, which is a one-way, northbound street, a criminal report affidavit states.
When stopped, Gershman was “fumbling with a sandwich,” the affidavit states. Police noticed a “distinct odor” of an alcoholic beverage on Gershman’s breath, watery eyes and slurred speech, the affidavit states. He was also unsteady on his feet, police said.
Gershman refused to take a breath- or blood-alcohol test, jail records state.
He works in the Times’ Tampa office, according to the Times.
Gershman did not return a phone call to his office or his cell phone.