RSS Feed of the blog
Reporter Ted Jackovics covers the RNC host committee. Email
Reporter William March has covered state and national politics since 1994. Email
Reporter Josh Poltilove covers RNC security and protests and the impact of the RNC throughout Tampa. Email
Florida Political Blogs:
Most Recent Entries
- Cramming time for those casting ballots Election Day
- StPetePolls says Sink leading among early voters
- Update: Scott says he’d veto Az anti-gay rights bill
- Az anti-gay rights law enters Fl governor’s race
- Gaetz, Weatherford: No major environmental actions coming in session
- Chamber poll: Jolly over Sink 44-42
- Medical pot advocate upset over booze measures
- Buckhorn host Obamacare weekend sign-ups
- Tampa Chamber urges MacDill emphasis in D-13 race
- Mr. Crist Goes to Tallahassee
- ‘Cash balance’ state pension bill filed
- Polls show Sink leading in CD 13
- Crist files papers for re-election bid
- Senate President Gaetz backs medical pot bill
- Florida House members stay with parties on debt ceiling vote
New York Times, Vanity Fair discover Tampa strip clubs
Posted Jul 27, 2012 by Dennis Joyce
Updated Jul 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
With all the national attention on Tampa’s strip clubs, will any visiting Republican be brave enough to show his face there?
The New York Times is the latest to weigh on in how one of Tampa’s signature industries hopes to cash in on the Republican National Convention, Aug. 27-30.
The upshot of the story is that Republicans bust loose more than Democrats at times like this, as Tampa’s adult-industry icon Joe Redner told the Tribune in May 2010, after Tampa landed the convention.
There’s not much data to support this contention, of course, or any of the assertions the Times makes about the industry.
In fact, Vanity Fair makes fun of the story today in a list titled “The 10 Most Sordid Sentences in the Times Piece About Tampa, Strip Clubs, and the G.O.P. Convention.”
Beware before clicking the Vanity Fair link; it contains what might be described as an R-rated video compilation from one of the strip clubs.
Of course, the most comprehensive information about all the Tampa area’s 50 or so strip clubs - including how many dancers they have - can be found right here at TBO, on our database, “Bay Area Strip Clubs.”
We’re updating it again, right now.