Reporter William March has covered state and national politics since 1994. Email
Reporter Mike Salinero has covered Hillsborough County government since 2007. Email
Reporter James L. Rosica covers state government from the Tribune's Tallahassee bureau. Email
Florida Political Blogs:
Most Recent Entries
- Scott abandoning stance in favor of Medicaid expansion?
- Bondi’s Democratic challengers trail in fundraising
- Scott files for re-election
- Crist first month total: $3 million
- Gardiner chosen as next Fla. Senate president
- Bondi’s committees now have raised more than $1 million
- First David Jolly ad touts his local ties, but could be fodder for critics
- Sources: Crist’s new campaign manager is gone
- Clark to ignore Detzner absentee directive for D 13 race
- Murman also uncertain about LG job
- Dems cry voter suppression, election supes unhappy, over new absentee rule
- Crist raises first million; Scott now over $25 million
- House and Senate bills would regulate parasailing
- Castor to raise $$ for Sink
- Two candidates left on Gov. Scott’s ‘short list’ for Lt. Gov.
Crist’s Engagement History Clarified, Wedding Date May Be A Way Off
Posted Jul 9, 2008 by William March
Updated Jul 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM
In a brief interview this morning, Gov. Charlie Crist clarified his past engagement history, which he said has been reported wrongly in some newsoutlets, and added that his wedding to Carole Rome probably will be after the Nov. 4 election—maybe not be until spring.
Crist had said last week, when telling friends and reporters about his engagement, that the wedding likely would be “some time in the fall.”
Asked today if it was likely to be before or after the election, he said likely afterward, and that it “could be in the spring—it’s looking like the fall will be pretty busy,” clearly referring to the election, in which he is a strong backer of John McCain.
Crist was married once before, very briefly, in 1979, and has said he was also engaged once a few years later.
But at least one state newspaper has reported that Crist has been engaged four times previously. That’s incorrect, Crist said, and the newspaper involved published a correction today.
In fact, Crist said, during the early 1980’s, a few years after his marriage, he had a romantic relationship with a Maryland woman he met at Ronald Reagan’s inaugural, and the two became engaged. They then broke up, but reunited later and got engaged again.
Counting Rome, his engagement to his former wife, and the two engagements to the Maryland woman, Crist said, he has been now been engaged a total of four times.