Reporter William March has covered state and national politics since 1994. Email
Reporter Mike Salinero has covered Hillsborough County government since 2007. Email
Reporter James L. Rosica covers state government from the Tribune's Tallahassee bureau. Email
Florida Political Blogs:
Most Recent Entries
- Bondi’s Democratic challengers trail in fundraising
- Scott files for re-election
- Crist first month total: $3 million
- Gardiner chosen as next Fla. Senate president
- Bondi’s committees now have raised more than $1 million
- First David Jolly ad touts his local ties, but could be fodder for critics
- Sources: Crist’s new campaign manager is gone
- Clark to ignore Detzner absentee directive for D 13 race
- Murman also uncertain about LG job
- Dems cry voter suppression, election supes unhappy, over new absentee rule
- Crist raises first million; Scott now over $25 million
- House and Senate bills would regulate parasailing
- Castor to raise $$ for Sink
- Two candidates left on Gov. Scott’s ‘short list’ for Lt. Gov.
- Peters responds to DCCC flood insurance comments
Obama targets Tampa area Hispanics
Posted Apr 25, 2012 by William March
Updated Apr 25, 2012 at 05:43 PM
President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign is focussing intensely on Florida and Tampa area Hispanics.
On Wednesday, it released a Florida-only Spanish language ad featuring a Tampa volunteer on the administration’s education record, and Wednesday it will hold a news conference with Tampa state Rep. Janet Cruz at a local Hispanic-owned jewelry store.
The news conference will be about a new report on the effects of the administration’s economic policies on Florida’s Hispanic community, according to a news release. It will be held at Liry’s Jewelry, owned by Liredia Caravajal. The news release says Caravajal opened the business 23 years ago, when she was a Republican, but backed Obama in 2008 and “is now benefitting from the President’s tax cuts for small businesses.”
The ad features Elena McCullough, a retired U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant, mother of two, a veteran and Obama campaign volunteer.