RSS Feed of the blog
Reporter Ted Jackovics covers the RNC host committee. Email
Reporter William March has covered state and national politics since 1994. Email
Reporter Josh Poltilove covers RNC security and protests and the impact of the RNC throughout Tampa. Email
Florida Political Blogs:
Most Recent Entries
- Cramming time for those casting ballots Election Day
- StPetePolls says Sink leading among early voters
- Update: Scott says he’d veto Az anti-gay rights bill
- Az anti-gay rights law enters Fl governor’s race
- Gaetz, Weatherford: No major environmental actions coming in session
- Chamber poll: Jolly over Sink 44-42
- Medical pot advocate upset over booze measures
- Buckhorn host Obamacare weekend sign-ups
- Tampa Chamber urges MacDill emphasis in D-13 race
- Mr. Crist Goes to Tallahassee
- ‘Cash balance’ state pension bill filed
- Polls show Sink leading in CD 13
- Crist files papers for re-election bid
- Senate President Gaetz backs medical pot bill
- Florida House members stay with parties on debt ceiling vote
No plans to deal with guns at RNC gate
Posted Apr 11, 2012 by Kevin Wiatrowski
Updated Apr 11, 2012 at 04:52 PM
Accidentally bring your concealed handgun with you to the RNC this summer and you’ll be turned away when you reach the convention gate.
Florida law lets anyone—delegates or protesters—carry concealed handguns with them outside the as-yet undefined security perimeter the Secret Service will erect around the convention sites.
If those delegates happen to bring their guns with them as they try to enter the convention—whoops!—the Secret Service will turn them away.
Spokesman George Ogilvie said the agency won’t take guns away, but they won’t like the gun owners through the gate either.
The problem is the city’s, Ogilvie said.
Tampa Police spokeswoman Laura McElroy first passed the buck by at the Secret Service. But then she said the city has no plans for taking possession of delegates guns so they can enter the convention.
That will leave delegates two options: return to their hotel to drop off their weapon then find their way back to the convention or wander the city with a concealed weapon and a sour attitude.