Reporter William March has covered state and national politics since 1994. Email
Reporter Mike Salinero has covered Hillsborough County government since 2007. Email
Reporter James L. Rosica covers state government from the Tribune's Tallahassee bureau. Email
Florida Political Blogs:
Most Recent Entries
- Cramming time for those casting ballots Election Day
- StPetePolls says Sink leading among early voters
- Update: Scott says he’d veto Az anti-gay rights bill
- Az anti-gay rights law enters Fl governor’s race
- Gaetz, Weatherford: No major environmental actions coming in session
- Chamber poll: Jolly over Sink 44-42
- Medical pot advocate upset over booze measures
- Buckhorn host Obamacare weekend sign-ups
- Tampa Chamber urges MacDill emphasis in D-13 race
- Mr. Crist Goes to Tallahassee
- ‘Cash balance’ state pension bill filed
- Polls show Sink leading in CD 13
- Crist files papers for re-election bid
- Senate President Gaetz backs medical pot bill
- Florida House members stay with parties on debt ceiling vote
News reports: Rubio off the VP list
Posted Jun 19, 2012 by William March
Updated Jun 19, 2012 at 02:52 PM
National news organizations are reporting based on unnamed sources that Florida Sen. Marco Rubio is off the Romney campaign’s short list of potential running mates.
First, ABC News reported this morning based on “knowledgeable Republican sources” that Rubio isn’t being vetted by the campaign—he hasn’t been asked to provide documents on his finances and personal life typically asked of potential presidential running mates.
Now, the Washington Post says, based on unnamed Romney advisers, that Rubio was knocked off the short list after a preliminary review by the campaign of publicly available documents about Rubio including news reports.
Both stories include at least some hedging, however.
It also could be worth remembering that at this point in the 2008 cycle, Sarah Palin was far down on any radar screen as a running mate for John McCain, and was chosen at the last minute with little of the typical vetting.