Reporter William March has covered state and national politics since 1994. Email
Reporter Mike Salinero has covered Hillsborough County government since 2007. Email
Reporter James L. Rosica covers state government from the Tribune's Tallahassee bureau. Email
Florida Political Blogs:
Most Recent Entries
- Cramming time for those casting ballots Election Day
- StPetePolls says Sink leading among early voters
- Update: Scott says he’d veto Az anti-gay rights bill
- Az anti-gay rights law enters Fl governor’s race
- Gaetz, Weatherford: No major environmental actions coming in session
- Chamber poll: Jolly over Sink 44-42
- Medical pot advocate upset over booze measures
- Buckhorn host Obamacare weekend sign-ups
- Tampa Chamber urges MacDill emphasis in D-13 race
- Mr. Crist Goes to Tallahassee
- ‘Cash balance’ state pension bill filed
- Polls show Sink leading in CD 13
- Crist files papers for re-election bid
- Senate President Gaetz backs medical pot bill
- Florida House members stay with parties on debt ceiling vote
Lee adds backing from Thrasher, Negron
Posted Jul 19, 2012 by William March
Updated Jul 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Tom Lee has received endorsements from state Sens. John Thrasher and Joe Negron in the Republican state Senate primary in East Hillsborough’s District 24, meaning he’s now backed by both sides in the battle for future leadership of the Senate.
Lee already had been endorsed by incoming Senate presidents Don Gaetz of Niceville and Andy Gardiner of Orlando, plus Sen. Jack Latvala of Clearwater, who’s battling to follow them in the order of Senate leaders.
Thrasher, of St. Augustine, and Negron, of Stuart, represent the other side of that battle, which could determine who takes over as Senate president after Gardiner in 2016.
Lee, a former state Senate president looking to return to the Senate, faces state Rep. Rachel Burgin in a primary.