Reporter William March has covered state and national politics since 1994. Email
Reporter Mike Salinero has covered Hillsborough County government since 2007. Email
Reporter James L. Rosica covers state government from the Tribune's Tallahassee bureau. Email
Florida Political Blogs:
Most Recent Entries
- Scott gets Q poll bump; Schale says “No biggie”
- Kentucky’s Beshear responds to Scott
- Lawmakers have sent all of this year’s bills to governor
- Scott next targets Kentucky to entice businesses, jobs
- Rangel, Clelland criticize Rouson
- Tant: J-J dinner raises $850,000, 1,300 attendees
- Fla. lawmaker on honeymoon when news breaks of ethics violation
- Scott vetoes mental health bill
- Curry: Maybe I’ll rent Rich a room
- Scott takes another jab at Nelson over sequestration and Nat’l Guard troops
- Legislature releases 2013-14 pre-session committee schedule
- New PhD now Ag Dept’s top economist
- Governor outlaws distribution of porn on school grounds
- Gov. Scott signs 34 more bills into law
- Scionti, Vance to run for judgeship
HUD funds master plan for downtown
Posted Apr 9, 2012 by Kevin Wiatrowski
Updated Apr 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Mayor Bob Buckhorn gathered the city’s press corps at City Hall Monday morning to announce the kick-off of a project he said had eluded five mayors before him: developing a long-range vision for downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods.
Buckhorn described the plan as “a blueprint for this community for the next 25 years.”
The project will look at ways to tie the downtown more tightly to the gentrifying neighborhoods on its fringes. The study area goes from Armenia Avenue on the west to Ybor City on the east, then north on Nebraska Avenue to Hillsborough Avenue.
The project is funded by a $1.2 million federal grant originally awarded to plan for a transit line along Nebraska.
Buckhorn said the city will reach out to the neighborhoods over the coming months to give city residents a hand in shaping the plan.
“This is not a plan that will be driven by the consultants,” Buckhorn said.