Most Recent Entries
- Cramming time for those casting ballots Election Day
- StPetePolls says Sink leading among early voters
- Update: Scott says he’d veto Az anti-gay rights bill
- Az anti-gay rights law enters Fl governor’s race
- Gaetz, Weatherford: No major environmental actions coming in session
- Chamber poll: Jolly over Sink 44-42
- Medical pot advocate upset over booze measures
- Buckhorn host Obamacare weekend sign-ups
- Tampa Chamber urges MacDill emphasis in D-13 race
- Mr. Crist Goes to Tallahassee
- ‘Cash balance’ state pension bill filed
- Polls show Sink leading in CD 13
- Crist files papers for re-election bid
- Senate President Gaetz backs medical pot bill
- Florida House members stay with parties on debt ceiling vote
Go Fish At MacDill: Base To Open Waters For 2 Days To Guests
Posted Apr 17, 2012 by Howard Altman
Updated Apr 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM
When I was researching a story about efforts to protect the beach at MacDill Air Force Base from erosion, I learned a lot, including that just off shore is a fishing heaven.
Later this month, the base will give registered guests a chance to check out that heaven by opening two square miles of restricted water to boaters.
The MacDill AFB Open Fishing! Runs between 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 28 and 29.
If you are interested, submit a form no later than April 24 via fax to (813) 828-7507 or to a staff member at the Outdoor Recreation facility on MacDill AFB. Individuals may call (813) 828-4982 for more information.
The authorized area for fishing is at latitude/longitude coordinates 83.58074 and 11.49519 to 83.40134 and 11.45852. This designates two miles of base coastline as open fishing. This area has been declared a no-wake zone. Registered anglers will be indentified by a flag provided by MacDill AFB. Those not displaying the issued flag on their vessel will be escorted out of the area.
Tampa Police Department, Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, Florida Fish & Wildlife and the U.S. Coast Guard will be on the water to provide support.