Most Recent Entries
- Cramming time for those casting ballots Election Day
- StPetePolls says Sink leading among early voters
- Update: Scott says he’d veto Az anti-gay rights bill
- Az anti-gay rights law enters Fl governor’s race
- Gaetz, Weatherford: No major environmental actions coming in session
- Chamber poll: Jolly over Sink 44-42
- Medical pot advocate upset over booze measures
- Buckhorn host Obamacare weekend sign-ups
- Tampa Chamber urges MacDill emphasis in D-13 race
- Mr. Crist Goes to Tallahassee
- ‘Cash balance’ state pension bill filed
- Polls show Sink leading in CD 13
- Crist files papers for re-election bid
- Senate President Gaetz backs medical pot bill
- Florida House members stay with parties on debt ceiling vote
crowd bakes awaiting Obama
Posted Apr 13, 2012 by William March
Updated Apr 13, 2012 at 01:02 PM
A crowd of around 500 people is currently baking on the asphalt at the container freight area of the Port of Tampa, listening to Secretaqry of Labor Hilda Solis and waiting for President Barack Obama.
Obama is due to speak in about 20 minutes.
The crowd is in a sort of impromptu amphitheater created on the asphalt apron by the port’s three huge container cranes, walled in by stacks of cargo containers two- or three high.
To create that space, the port used the container cranes themselves and “top picks,” bulldozer-sized, fork-lift type machines that pick up cargo containers from the top. They walled in a rough circle about 300 feet across.