Free and Cheap
Janine is a 20-year veteran journalist who puts her sleuthing skills to use unearthing deals and discounts for families in the Tampa Bay area. Raising her own two daughters has taught her that some of the best things in life are “free” but not necessarily “cheap.”
Most Recent Entries
- Donate blood, get in free at Bay Area Renaissance Fest
- Donate food at St. Patrick’s event, score a free tee
- Senior health expo features free breakfast, health screenings
- Donate blood, get a free meal from Evos
- Free smoothies for National Strawberry Day
- Free museum admission this weekend for BOA cardholders
- Military treated to half-price tickets at spring training season opener
- Ride the mini-trains in Largo for free
- Free IHOP flapjacks on National Pancake Day
- Heroes admitted free at Florida Strawberry Festival
- Honor roll students skate for free this weekend at United Skates
- History museum hosts local historians at happy hour events
- $6 day at the zoo on Sunday
- Rise and shine with free breakfast at Whole Foods Market
- Military admitted free at Florida Holocaust Museum
Two weeks of free bus rides to introduce new rapid route
Posted May 14, 2013 by Janine Dorsey
Updated May 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM
HARTLine, Hillsborough County’s public transportation system, is launching a new high-tech, rapid route and the first two weeks will be absolutely free for riders.
MetroRapid North-South begins May 28 and will feature Transit Signal Priority, stations with ticket vending machines and increased stop frequencies.
The upgrades will result in a 15 percent time savings along the corridor.
One new feature - Transit Signal Priority - holds green lights and shortens red lights for the new buses as they approach intersections.
The MetroRapid North-South route will run north on Nebraska Avenue from downtown Tampa then east along Fletcher Avenue to the area of Telecom Park (west of I-75).
Following the two weeks of free rides, MetroRapid will cost the same as regular HART local bus service.
For more information and bus schedules, visit http://www.gohart.org/metrorapid/index.html.