Free and Cheap
Janine is a 20-year veteran journalist who puts her sleuthing skills to use unearthing deals and discounts for families in the Tampa Bay area. Raising her own two daughters has taught her that some of the best things in life are “free” but not necessarily “cheap.”
Most Recent Entries
- Donate blood, get in free at Bay Area Renaissance Fest
- Donate food at St. Patrick’s event, score a free tee
- Senior health expo features free breakfast, health screenings
- Donate blood, get a free meal from Evos
- Free smoothies for National Strawberry Day
- Free museum admission this weekend for BOA cardholders
- Military treated to half-price tickets at spring training season opener
- Ride the mini-trains in Largo for free
- Free IHOP flapjacks on National Pancake Day
- Heroes admitted free at Florida Strawberry Festival
- Honor roll students skate for free this weekend at United Skates
- History museum hosts local historians at happy hour events
- $6 day at the zoo on Sunday
- Rise and shine with free breakfast at Whole Foods Market
- Military admitted free at Florida Holocaust Museum
Stock up on greeting cards at 75 percent off
Posted Jan 24, 2014 by Janine Dorsey
Updated Jan 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM
While supplies last, stock up on all your upcoming greeting card needs on the cheap.
Sweetbay Supermarket (http://www.sweetbaysupermarket.com/home.jsp) is liquidating all their American Greetings card and gift wrap inventory at 75 percent off.
Need a birthday card for your great-nephew? Check. Want to wish someone “happy divorce?” Check. New job? New home? New baby? Check, check and check.
We visited the South Tampa Sweetbay location at 2100 W Swann Av. and found plenty of selection. The stock was not picked over or damaged. The only thing lacking was a sufficient supply of envelopes, curiously. There weren’t any generic blank cards available either. Cards with sound or other upgraded embellishments were plentiful.
With the cost of the average greeting card costing between $2 and $4, according to the Greeting Card Association (http://www.greetingcard.org/), paying full price can add up if you send alot of Birthday wishes.
At this location the majority of cards tended to be priced between $2.99 and $3.69, which rang up at .74 cents and .96 cents respectively. We spotted only one .99 cent birthday card, which rang up at .24 cents.