Free and Cheap
Janine is a 20-year veteran journalist who puts her sleuthing skills to use unearthing deals and discounts for families in the Tampa Bay area. Raising her own two daughters has taught her that some of the best things in life are “free” but not necessarily “cheap.”
Most Recent Entries
- Donate blood, get in free at Bay Area Renaissance Fest
- Donate food at St. Patrick’s event, score a free tee
- Senior health expo features free breakfast, health screenings
- Donate blood, get a free meal from Evos
- Free smoothies for National Strawberry Day
- Free museum admission this weekend for BOA cardholders
- Military treated to half-price tickets at spring training season opener
- Ride the mini-trains in Largo for free
- Free IHOP flapjacks on National Pancake Day
- Heroes admitted free at Florida Strawberry Festival
- Honor roll students skate for free this weekend at United Skates
- History museum hosts local historians at happy hour events
- $6 day at the zoo on Sunday
- Rise and shine with free breakfast at Whole Foods Market
- Military admitted free at Florida Holocaust Museum
Sign up to save on valuable home improvement course
Posted Sep 11, 2013 by Janine Dorsey
Updated Sep 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Save money and the aggravation of hiring professionals when you sign up to learn simple home improvement skills through Hillsborough County Schools.
Qualified Tampa Water Department customers can apply for a $166 voucher towards the twice-weekly course bringing the cost down to just $50.
The eight-week Home Improvement course on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6 to 9 p.m. covers everything from basic plumbing and simple electrical repairs to drywall.
The classes take place at the hands-on lab at Hillsborough Technical Education Centers Erwin campus and are taught by an expert handyman with more than 30 years of experience.
Interested participants should call (813) 274-8121 (option #5) to request the home improvement tuition voucher. One non-transferable voucher is available per qualified City of Tampa utility account. Vouchers are available on a first come, first served basis.
After you receive your voucher, register for the course by visiting the Erwin Technical Center Evening Admissions Office at 2010 E. Hillsborough Ave., Tampa between 1 and 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The remaining $50 course fee is due at that time.
The next course is scheduled to start on Tuesday, Oct. 22.
Please visit http://tampagov.net/DIY for more information and voucher program details.