Free and Cheap
Janine is a 20-year veteran journalist who puts her sleuthing skills to use unearthing deals and discounts for families in the Tampa Bay area. Raising her own two daughters has taught her that some of the best things in life are “free” but not necessarily “cheap.”
Most Recent Entries
- Free golfing fun for kids this summer
- Military admitted free to Bok Tower Gardens on Saturday
- Pet-A-Palooza is free fun for both people and pets
- Military admitted free to Florida Aquarium Memorial Day weekend
- Bright House customers treated to free baseball game
- Free microchipping offered at Animal Health Center
- Two weeks of free bus rides to introduce new rapid route
- Visit the zoo for just $6 this Sunday
- Brides can save big at annual Goodwill gown sale
- Free popcorn with food donation at Tampa Theatre
- Moms bowl free at Splitsville
- Moms treated to free beignets at Second Line Cafe
- Head to Häagen Dazs on Tuesday for a free cone
- Moms treated to free breakfast at McDonald’s
- Moms paint for free at Color Me Mine
Free national park dates for 2013 announced
Posted Nov 14, 2012 by Janine Dorsey
Updated Jan 17, 2013 at 01:24 PM
The Department of the Interior announced several dates in 2013 when more than 2,000 national parks, national forests, national wildlife refuges, and other federal lands will offer free admittance to everyone.
The fee waiver does not cover expanded amenity or user fees for things such as camping, boat launches, transportation, or special tours.
Active duty military members and their dependents are eligible for a free annual pass that provides entrance to lands managed by the National Park Service, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and the U.S. Forest Service.
Other discounted passes available include the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Program which offers a free lifetime pass for people with disabilities, a $10 lifetime senior pass for those age 62 and over, and a $80 annual pass for the general public.
The scheduled waived-fees days are:
January 21 (MLK Day) - Participating agencies: National Park Service, Fish & Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, US Forest Service
April 22 - 26 (National Park Week) - Participating agency: National Park Service
June 8 (Great Outdoors Day) - Participating agency: US Forest Service
August 25 (National Park Service Birthday) - Participating agency: National Park Service
September 28 (National Public Lands Day) - Participating agencies: National Park Service, Fish & Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, US Forest Service
October 13 (National Wildlife Refuge Day) - Participating agency: Fish & Wildlife Service
November 9 - 11 (Veterans Day weekend) - Participating agencies: National Park Service, Fish & Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, US Forest Service
For a list of the recreation opportunities available at these national lands, visit the Department of the Interior website.