Free and Cheap
Janine is a 20-year veteran journalist who puts her sleuthing skills to use unearthing deals and discounts for families in the Tampa Bay area. Raising her own two daughters has taught her that some of the best things in life are “free” but not necessarily “cheap.”
Most Recent Entries
- Donate blood, get in free at Bay Area Renaissance Fest
- Donate food at St. Patrick’s event, score a free tee
- Senior health expo features free breakfast, health screenings
- Donate blood, get a free meal from Evos
- Free smoothies for National Strawberry Day
- Free museum admission this weekend for BOA cardholders
- Military treated to half-price tickets at spring training season opener
- Ride the mini-trains in Largo for free
- Free IHOP flapjacks on National Pancake Day
- Heroes admitted free at Florida Strawberry Festival
- Honor roll students skate for free this weekend at United Skates
- History museum hosts local historians at happy hour events
- $6 day at the zoo on Sunday
- Rise and shine with free breakfast at Whole Foods Market
- Military admitted free at Florida Holocaust Museum
Double your food assistance dollars at Clearwater farmers market
Posted Mar 13, 2013 by Janine Dorsey
Updated Mar 19, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Families looking to stretch their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
(SNAP) dollars will have some help when the Clearwater Gateway Farmers Market begins offering “Market Double Dollars” on Saturday, March 23.
At the market, $10 in SNAP dollars will buy $20 of eligible foods at vendor booths that accept SNAP and Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT). Eligible foods include fruits, vegetables, breads, dairy, meat, seeds and plants that grow fruit.
There’s a limit of $10 in Double Dollars allowed, which will double to $20 in purchases. They may be purchased in denominations of $1, $3 or $5 and are only accepted at vendors who accept them.
The bonus program will run until the end of the Market season on May 25.
Clearwater Gateway Farmers Market, which features over 40 vendors, is located at 1200 block of Cleveland Street from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays October through May.
For more information about the Double Dollars program, call (727) 582-2514.