Free and Cheap
Janine is a 20-year veteran journalist who puts her sleuthing skills to use unearthing deals and discounts for families in the Tampa Bay area. Raising her own two daughters has taught her that some of the best things in life are “free” but not necessarily “cheap.”
Most Recent Entries
- Free sample roundup
- Join the zoo, get a free family meal
- De Soto National Memorial offers free kayak tours
- Florida resident discount this summer at Dinosaur World
- Aquarium discounts admission during Summer Fun Nights
- Crepe Myrtle sale to benefit literacy program
- Free bang and beard trims at JCPenney salons
- Dads admitted free at Mote Aquarium on Sunday
- Free horror movie series this summer in downtown Tampa
- Free healthy eating carnival on Saturday
- Dads admitted free to Henry B. Plant Museum on Father’s Day
- Discounted USF vanity tags available through voucher
- More kid movies on the cheap for summer fun
- Dads eat free at PDQ on Father’s Day
- Dads treated to free breakfast at McDonald’s
Double your food assistance dollars at Clearwater farmers market
Posted Mar 13, 2013 by Janine Dorsey
Updated Mar 19, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Families looking to stretch their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
(SNAP) dollars will have some help when the Clearwater Gateway Farmers Market begins offering “Market Double Dollars” on Saturday, March 23.
At the market, $10 in SNAP dollars will buy $20 of eligible foods at vendor booths that accept SNAP and Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT). Eligible foods include fruits, vegetables, breads, dairy, meat, seeds and plants that grow fruit.
There’s a limit of $10 in Double Dollars allowed, which will double to $20 in purchases. They may be purchased in denominations of $1, $3 or $5 and are only accepted at vendors who accept them.
The bonus program will run until the end of the Market season on May 25.
Clearwater Gateway Farmers Market, which features over 40 vendors, is located at 1200 block of Cleveland Street from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays October through May.
For more information about the Double Dollars program, call (727) 582-2514.