Free and Cheap
Janine is a 20-year veteran journalist who puts her sleuthing skills to use unearthing deals and discounts for families in the Tampa Bay area. Raising her own two daughters has taught her that some of the best things in life are “free” but not necessarily “cheap.”
Most Recent Entries
- Donate blood, get in free at Bay Area Renaissance Fest
- Donate food at St. Patrick’s event, score a free tee
- Senior health expo features free breakfast, health screenings
- Donate blood, get a free meal from Evos
- Free smoothies for National Strawberry Day
- Free museum admission this weekend for BOA cardholders
- Military treated to half-price tickets at spring training season opener
- Ride the mini-trains in Largo for free
- Free IHOP flapjacks on National Pancake Day
- Heroes admitted free at Florida Strawberry Festival
- Honor roll students skate for free this weekend at United Skates
- History museum hosts local historians at happy hour events
- $6 day at the zoo on Sunday
- Rise and shine with free breakfast at Whole Foods Market
- Military admitted free at Florida Holocaust Museum
Discounted shelter pet adoptions for military members
Posted Nov 29, 2012 by Janine Dorsey
Updated Nov 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Are you an active or veteran member of the U.S. military?
You may be eligible for a discounted shelter pet adoption, plus some ongoing perks and assistance.
Pets For Patriots is a non-profit organization that works closely with area shelters to match military members with homeless, special needs pets and assist them financially with the ongoing care of the animal.
The program includes:
- discounted adoption fees from selected area shelters including the Humane Society of Tampa Bay and the Humane Society of Pinellas
- minimum, ongoing 10% discount for veterinary services
- annual $150 gift card to a local retailer for food and supplies
- members-only deals from a specialty pet website
To be eligible for the program, the selected shelter pet must be a dog or cat, two years or older or a large dog (40+ pounds) or be a special needs dog or cat (disability, chronic medical condition, old age, etc.)
Pets for Patriots will provide benefits for one eligible pet per approved applicant. Limit one Pets for Patriots pet per household.