The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- Join The Plate Licker’s Club; Leave No Morsel Behind
- Greg And Michelle Baker To Follow The Refinery In Seminole Heights With Fodder & Shine
- Weekend Eats: Homemade Moussaka, French Fries With Cheese Gravy, Meatball Banh Mi Sandwiches
- The Sip: Drinking In ‘The Great Gatsby’ With Martinis And Mint Julep.
- Mouth Safari: The Stein & Vine Brings Great Eats, Outstanding Drinks To Valrico
- Weekend Eats: Pork Tonkotsu Ramen, Spicy Chicken And Waffles, Oysters With Crispy Shallots
- The Underbelly Tour Devours Central Avenue Restaurants In St. Petersburg
- Hot Rod’s BBQ In Lutz Serves Up It’s Last Plate Of Barbecue Fruit Bat. Or Whatever It Was.
- Hank Shaw - Hunter, Gardener, Fisherman, Cook - Wins A James Beard Award
- Gary and Amy Moran Out At Wimauma Restaurant In South Tampa
- This Is Tampa Style. This Is Who We Are. Take It And Eat It.
- Weekend Eats: Snickers Flapjack, Thai Donuts, Sushi On The Beach
- The Sip: The Best That A Very Thirsty Tampa Has To Drink
- Rooster & The Till; Seminole Heights To Get New Restaurant
- Weekend Eats: Nutella Latte, Foie Gras Wagyu Burger, Rootini
What To Do In Tampa When You’re Wet [Must-Visit Places During The #GOP2012 Rain Delay]
Posted Aug 26, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Aug 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM
The big bad storm known as Isaac is making the GOP pull the tarp over it’s event in Tampa.
Cue the sad trombone.
To me, if I’m in a place I’ve never been to, that’s a license to go have fun.
So here is a list of spots Republinerds and those who hate them need to visit on their rainy day off:
1. Go have a drink INSIDE the wine room at Aqua at the Westin on Courtney Campbell Causeway.
2. Buy dehydrated peanut butter at Duckweed Urban Market, then re-hydrate it with rain water.
3. Order the Fried Mullet plate at Mama’s Southern Soulfood Restaurant in Tampa.
4. Go tour Plant Hall at the University of Tampa. There’s nothing like it anywhere.
5. Go buy a chocolate alligator. Resist the urge to eat it before you get on the plane.
6. Ride the trolley car to Ybor City. It’s loud and expensive and uncomfortable. Just like Tampa.
7. Enjoy a bacon flight at Beachwood BBQ & Burger on St. Pete Beach.
8. Eat a chorizo pizza at La Gloria Bakery on Causeway Boulevard.
9. Pose with El Hombre at Taco Bus on Hillsborough Avenue.
10. Go have a spicy Bloody Mary at Mahuffer’s in Indian Rocks.
11. Drink a house-made beer at the Evander gallery in Pass-a-Grille.
12. Eat a PB&J pannini and a gelato at Sono Cafe inside the Tampa Museum of Art.
13. Eat brisket at Brady’s Backyard BBQ in Safety Harbor. In fact, eat two.
14. Throw down a 1/4-pound Mighty Mel wiener at Mel’s Hot Dogs on Busch Boulevard in Tampa.
Car sold separately.
15. Go jump yourself at Boing trampoline center in Brandon. But not after eating a Mighty Mel.
16. Eat a plate of shrimp fried rice and plantains at Arco Iris on Columbus Drive.
17. Slurp a bowl of pho at Saigon Deli in Tampa.
18. Eat Grilled Flatbread With Balsamic Figs And Brie and watch The Bourne Legacy” at Cinebistro in Old Hyde Park Village in Tampa.
19. Gnaw on Dr. Pepper Ribs with Asian slaw at Z Grille in St. Petersburg.
20. Play No. 53-1 at The Hub in downtown Tampa while nursing a Pabst Blue Ribbon.
For extra points: Start a sing-along.