The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- A Word Or Two About Great Bar Food [And The Golden Snacky Award Goes To…]
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
- Elevage Pops-Up, Offers Taste Of Epicurean Hotel [Duck Duck Goose Burger Blows Minds]
- Where To Eat Outdoors Now That It’s Not 1,000 Degrees [East Hillsborough Edition]
- James Villas’ New Book ‘Southern Fried’ Should Be Battered, Eaten [Everything Crunchy Is Good]
- Prepping For A Pop-Up [Chad Johnson Turns SideBern’s Into Elevage For One Week]
- Putting The Wine [And Other Drinkables] Into The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- FishHawk Loses Park Square Cellar [Mary And Shawn Sarkisian Get Their Lives Back]
What To Do In Tampa When You’re Wet [Must-Visit Places During The #GOP2012 Rain Delay]
Posted Aug 26, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Aug 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM
The big bad storm known as Isaac is making the GOP pull the tarp over it’s event in Tampa.
Cue the sad trombone.
To me, if I’m in a place I’ve never been to, that’s a license to go have fun.
So here is a list of spots Republinerds and those who hate them need to visit on their rainy day off:
1. Go have a drink INSIDE the wine room at Aqua at the Westin on Courtney Campbell Causeway.
2. Buy dehydrated peanut butter at Duckweed Urban Market, then re-hydrate it with rain water.
3. Order the Fried Mullet plate at Mama’s Southern Soulfood Restaurant in Tampa.
4. Go tour Plant Hall at the University of Tampa. There’s nothing like it anywhere.
5. Go buy a chocolate alligator. Resist the urge to eat it before you get on the plane.
6. Ride the trolley car to Ybor City. It’s loud and expensive and uncomfortable. Just like Tampa.
7. Enjoy a bacon flight at Beachwood BBQ & Burger on St. Pete Beach.
8. Eat a chorizo pizza at La Gloria Bakery on Causeway Boulevard.
9. Pose with El Hombre at Taco Bus on Hillsborough Avenue.
10. Go have a spicy Bloody Mary at Mahuffer’s in Indian Rocks.
11. Drink a house-made beer at the Evander gallery in Pass-a-Grille.
12. Eat a PB&J pannini and a gelato at Sono Cafe inside the Tampa Museum of Art.
13. Eat brisket at Brady’s Backyard BBQ in Safety Harbor. In fact, eat two.
14. Throw down a 1/4-pound Mighty Mel wiener at Mel’s Hot Dogs on Busch Boulevard in Tampa.
Car sold separately.
15. Go jump yourself at Boing trampoline center in Brandon. But not after eating a Mighty Mel.
16. Eat a plate of shrimp fried rice and plantains at Arco Iris on Columbus Drive.
17. Slurp a bowl of pho at Saigon Deli in Tampa.
18. Eat Grilled Flatbread With Balsamic Figs And Brie and watch The Bourne Legacy” at Cinebistro in Old Hyde Park Village in Tampa.
19. Gnaw on Dr. Pepper Ribs with Asian slaw at Z Grille in St. Petersburg.
20. Play No. 53-1 at The Hub in downtown Tampa while nursing a Pabst Blue Ribbon.
For extra points: Start a sing-along.