The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- Epicurean Hotel, One Week From Opening, Tantalizes With Details [Goat Cheese On The Mini-Bar]
- A Word Or Two About Great Bar Food [And The Golden Snacky Award Goes To…]
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
- Elevage Pops-Up, Offers Taste Of Epicurean Hotel [Duck Duck Goose Burger Blows Minds]
- Where To Eat Outdoors Now That It’s Not 1,000 Degrees [East Hillsborough Edition]
- James Villas’ New Book ‘Southern Fried’ Should Be Battered, Eaten [Everything Crunchy Is Good]
- Prepping For A Pop-Up [Chad Johnson Turns SideBern’s Into Elevage For One Week]
- Putting The Wine [And Other Drinkables] Into The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
Weekend Eats: Snickers Flapjack, Thai Donuts, Sushi On The Beach
Posted Apr 30, 2013 by Jeff Houck
Updated Apr 30, 2013 at 02:02 PM
I’m not exactly sure what in the blue blazes was going on yesterday, but of the first three entrants for Weekend Eats yesterday on Twitter, two were from Shanghai and one was from Colombia.
Twitter friend @ChefStops sent two entries, one of a brown and roast pork in a bamboo leaf and the other of roast pork hooves used for rice bundles. Within minutes, @TomBetz sent along his photo of trout on a plantain served in the “Coffee Country” of Perilla, Columbia
I love it when we go international.
Punching your passport, however, does not guarantee a Weekend Eats victory.
Which explains why Michelle Jenkins (@michjenkins) won thjis week with her pizzaiolo brunch with egg, speck, tomato and green onion as toppings. (pictured above)
I mean, look at that thing. That gives you a reason to get out of bed. Early.
For her efforts, she of course joins the pantheon of great eats in the Weekend Eats Hall of Fame on Pinterest.
She also gets a pretty nifty book to read and enjoy:
My favorite entry: The Grouper Reuben recipe from Frenchy’s in Clearwater.
Other entries this week included:
@mikebonfanti - Tuscan pizza from Dave’s Pizza Garage in #Tallahassee.
@clairgpTBO Epcot = Wild Berry Slush, Dole Whip Pineapple, Lasagna Primavera, Red Ale )Orlando Brew), S Adams Cream Stout.
Here’s the Gallery of Noms for this week. I am not responsible for any clothing stained by your overactive salivation: