The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- Epicurean Hotel, One Week From Opening, Tantalizes With Details [Goat Cheese On The Mini-Bar]
- A Word Or Two About Great Bar Food [And The Golden Snacky Award Goes To…]
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
- Elevage Pops-Up, Offers Taste Of Epicurean Hotel [Duck Duck Goose Burger Blows Minds]
- Where To Eat Outdoors Now That It’s Not 1,000 Degrees [East Hillsborough Edition]
- James Villas’ New Book ‘Southern Fried’ Should Be Battered, Eaten [Everything Crunchy Is Good]
- Prepping For A Pop-Up [Chad Johnson Turns SideBern’s Into Elevage For One Week]
- Putting The Wine [And Other Drinkables] Into The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
Weekend Eats: Pork Tonkotsu Ramen, Spicy Chicken And Waffles, Oysters With Crispy Shallots
Posted May 6, 2013 by Jeff Houck
Updated May 6, 2013 at 05:43 PM
I don’t want to show my cards, but you stand a considerably better chance of winning each week’s Weekend Eats battle royale if whatever photo you submit has an egg on it.
Doesn’t matter what it is.
Bowl of cereal? Put an egg on it.
Glass of champagne? Put an egg on it.
Plate of eggs? Put another egg on it. In fact, put two, just to be sure.
That gives you some explanation why by Twitter chum Stacy Tabb - who goes by the handle @sekimori - took the top prize with her photo of duck confit with caramelized pineapple and quail egg she had at the Terrace Grill in Lakeland.
Not only did she go egg, she mixed her fowl, going with the duck confit and then taking a dog leg to the quail.
For her efforts, she now enters the hallowed and revered Weekend Eats Hall of Fame on Pnterest (540 followers? Somebody needs a life.) as well as earns the very fine book by chef Richard Blais, “Try This At Home.”
Allow me to suggest making the Potato Chip Omelet.
Other notable submissions included:
@gregsbaker: Chicken livers antichucos, with aji panca & choclo @SevicheLatinRes
@karenmcallister: Fave #WeekendEats Made Mexican Pizza with Chipotle Orange Sauce. Delish! Recipe via @familyfoodie
And now, this week’s gallery of Noms. (click on individual photos to read the descriptions):