The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- Generation Food Truck Goes For Guinness World Record For Food Trucks In Tampa
- The Sip: Dawn Heidemann Represents Tampa in New York City At The ‘Bartending Olympics’
- Bill Walsh: Author, Copy Editor, Language Snob Who Finds Plenty Of Peeves On The Menu
- An Inconvenient Convenience Store Truth: Mom-And-Pop Shops Are More Fun
- Weekend Eats: Grouper Tacos, Deviled Eggs With Truffled Salt, Birch Beer Cupcakes
- Join The Plate Licker’s Club; Leave No Morsel Behind
- Greg And Michelle Baker To Follow The Refinery In Seminole Heights With Fodder & Shine
- Weekend Eats: Homemade Moussaka, French Fries With Cheese Gravy, Meatball Banh Mi Sandwiches
- The Sip: Drinking In ‘The Great Gatsby’ With Martinis And Mint Julep.
- Mouth Safari: The Stein & Vine Brings Great Eats, Outstanding Drinks To Valrico
- Weekend Eats: Pork Tonkotsu Ramen, Spicy Chicken And Waffles, Oysters With Crispy Shallots
- The Underbelly Tour Devours Central Avenue Restaurants In St. Petersburg
- Hot Rod’s BBQ In Lutz Serves Up It’s Last Plate Of Barbecue Fruit Bat. Or Whatever It Was.
- Hank Shaw - Hunter, Gardener, Fisherman, Cook - Wins A James Beard Award
- Gary and Amy Moran Out At Wimauma Restaurant In South Tampa
Roasted Pig Skin, Maryland Steamed Crabs, Smoked Brisket [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
Posted Jun 19, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Jun 19, 2012 at 01:35 PM
There are very few rules when it comes to the Weekend Eats contest I do every week.
Why? Because rules stink.
No, the idea is to share the best food you ate and drank over the weekend, not to worry about whether you’re doing something right or wrong.
As such, there’s never been a limit on how many photos anyone can submit to win the grand poobah big prize each week.
Interestingly, most people only send one or two photos. Why? I don’t ask questions. I like to think it’s because that was their one best dish. End of story. And I can appreciate living within the concept of the idea,.
But I know that there are weekends when great food comes flying fast and furious. Picking a favorite is near impossible, almost like picking out your favorite fireworks in a grand finale.
In that spirit, my Twitter friend and longtime Weekend Eats sport @katelynaday this week unleashed a culinary torrent that deserves to be formally recognized for not only its breadth but it’s depth as well.
Kate sent no fewer than 11 pics for Weekend Eats this week. I’m not sure if this is a record, but it should be. And, darn it, every last one of them made me drool.
What did that buffet include? Well, that beautiful bowl of cream of crab soup, (pictured above) which she said she ate on the eastern shore in Maryland.
... And mussels in a tomato based, sriracha broth…
... And seared scallops with a Thai style sauce…
... And lobster grilled cheese…
... And ... You get the idea.
That doesn’t mean everyone should send 11 pics of their food every week. But you should if you have this much great grub in front of you. Think of it as your way of giving back to the food gods who are clearly smiling upon your taste buds.
For her diligence, Katelyn wins:
Ricky Lauren‘s book “The Hamptons; Food, Family, and History.” Katelyn will recognize a lot of the book. Much of it showed up on her table last weekend.
And her pics will go into the Weekend Eats Hall of Fame on Pinterest.
Other great food from last weekend
@terrysimpson - Sous vide lamb chops with balsamic reduction glaze, fresh fruit salad w cream, mashed potatoes w lamb/balsamic gravy
@RobinDorian - Yellowtail collar from @FishGuysNYC. Rare to see them sold in fish stores. @TravelEatDrink cooked them to perfection.
@otmdish - Coriander-crusted seared rare tuna. 1st crop of garden green beans.
@OriginalBeefs - We enjoyed our award winning wings this weekend while watching the US Open.
@fsutoby - Delicious anniversary dinner at Bonefish Grill Boca & dessert at Sloane’s in Mizner Park (S’Mores Ice Cream!)
@PhoebeDiane - Moo & peep flutes (fried flour tortillas topped w/ guac, salsa & sour cream) at Casa Tina in Dunedin #nomz
That’s nothing, though. Dig this week’s Gallery of Noms: