The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- A Word Or Two About Great Bar Food [And The Golden Snacky Award Goes To…]
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
- Elevage Pops-Up, Offers Taste Of Epicurean Hotel [Duck Duck Goose Burger Blows Minds]
- Where To Eat Outdoors Now That It’s Not 1,000 Degrees [East Hillsborough Edition]
- James Villas’ New Book ‘Southern Fried’ Should Be Battered, Eaten [Everything Crunchy Is Good]
- Prepping For A Pop-Up [Chad Johnson Turns SideBern’s Into Elevage For One Week]
- Putting The Wine [And Other Drinkables] Into The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- FishHawk Loses Park Square Cellar [Mary And Shawn Sarkisian Get Their Lives Back]
Pizza In A Cone, Redneck Burgers, That Sort Of Thing [Fun Florida State Fair Food For 2013]
Posted Jan 31, 2013 by Jeff Houck
Updated Jan 31, 2013 at 07:16 PM
The theme for this year’s Florida State Fair is “Florida: 500 Years In The Making.” That’s a reference to the cinquecentennial of Ponce de Leon’s arrival on the peninsula in search of the Fountain of Youth.
I don’t want to speak for Ponce, but I think he might have shown up sooner if he knew what kind of food was going to be served in his honor at the fair, which starts next Thursday and runs through Feb. 18
Like that beauty above. It’s a pizza cone.
Maybe you didn’t hear me. I’ll repeat.
IT’S A PIZZA! IN AN ICE CREAM CONE!
That kind of ingenuity, essentially marrying two opposite things in an unholy culinary alliance, is what makes the fair so great..
Think about it.
Pizza already was pretty good on its own. it also had its own edible handle.
Someone wasn’t satisfied. They had to go improve on perfection. If that isn’t American, I don’t know what is.
Other delicacies this year?
Hold on to your belt buckle:
Philly Burger: fresh chopped burger sauteed with mushrooms and onion then topped with provolone cheese and any of your favorite condiments (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle)
Then there’s this beauty:
Burger Pisa: a fresh burger topped with mozzarella cheese, Italian sauce, pepperoni, fresh basil, and if you like sauteed mushrooms and onion.
Not refined enough for you?
Try this one:
Uptown Burger: a fresh burger topped with mozzarella cheese, tomato, Italian sauce, and fresh basil.
Cue the Billy Joel.
And then there’s this year’s masterpiece, the 2013 equivalent of the Krispy Kreme bacon cheeseburger that had everyone talking in 2011
Burger with the Redneck Attitude: a fresh burger topped with cheese, bacon, fried bologna, baked beans, and topped with potato sticks then add you favorite condiment (lettuce, tomato, onion,pickle)
Feast your eyes on that bad boy for a second.
I have no idea how it tastes, but I’m pretty sure that, true to its name, this burger shall make your south rise again. Interpret that however you care.
You can thank me later.
There are rumors of alleged pumpkin spice funnel cakes, but we’ll hold off on that for the moment. I know you’re trying to absorb what I’ve already shared.
Stay tuned for further fair food updates. I’m aiming for a Pulitzer.
For tickets and information on the the fair, click here.