The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- Generation Food Truck Goes For Guinness World Record For Food Trucks In Tampa
- The Sip: Dawn Heidemann Represents Tampa in New York City At The ‘Bartending Olympics’
- Bill Walsh: Author, Copy Editor, Language Snob Who Finds Plenty Of Peeves On The Menu
- An Inconvenient Convenience Store Truth: Mom-And-Pop Shops Are More Fun
- Weekend Eats: Grouper Tacos, Deviled Eggs With Truffled Salt, Birch Beer Cupcakes
- Join The Plate Licker’s Club; Leave No Morsel Behind
- Greg And Michelle Baker To Follow The Refinery In Seminole Heights With Fodder & Shine
- Weekend Eats: Homemade Moussaka, French Fries With Cheese Gravy, Meatball Banh Mi Sandwiches
- The Sip: Drinking In ‘The Great Gatsby’ With Martinis And Mint Julep.
- Mouth Safari: The Stein & Vine Brings Great Eats, Outstanding Drinks To Valrico
- Weekend Eats: Pork Tonkotsu Ramen, Spicy Chicken And Waffles, Oysters With Crispy Shallots
- The Underbelly Tour Devours Central Avenue Restaurants In St. Petersburg
- Hot Rod’s BBQ In Lutz Serves Up It’s Last Plate Of Barbecue Fruit Bat. Or Whatever It Was.
- Hank Shaw - Hunter, Gardener, Fisherman, Cook - Wins A James Beard Award
- Gary and Amy Moran Out At Wimauma Restaurant In South Tampa
Merlot Jelly, Korean Fried Chicken and Grand Marnier Souffle [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
Posted Jan 30, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Jan 30, 2012 at 05:41 PM
Did you have a good weekend? Hope so.
I know several people who used their time off to fill their collective belly with tasty foodstuffs.
Like my friends over at the Tasty Chomps food site in Orlando.
They spied the hanging roast ducks and barbecue pork you see in the photo above at the 1st Oriental Supermarket on Colonial Drive and Pine Hills in Orlando ! At the city’s largest Asian market, you can get a whole roast duck for $16.
By the look of the supermarket’s menu, they have lots of delicacies from which to choose.
Sauteed pork tongue, anyone?
For their droolworthy contribution, they win this week’s prize: A copy of the new book “Simple Asian Meals” by Nina Simonds. I can’t promise it will teach you how to make $16 Peking Duck, but it will fill your belly with more delicious Far East foodstuffs like Easy Asian Seafood Paella and Teryaki Halibut.
Other food enjoyed last weekend included:
@geokaren - mmm we had rabbit filled ravioli w/pancetta & pinenut sauce!
@TastyChomps - Fresh steamed tilapia in scallions and soy sauce and roast duck from 1st oriental market in Orlando.
@HeatherHAL - Duck Soup! Slow simmered duck broth with white wine, winter vegetables and barley.
@fsutoby - Since we were in Boynton Bch, I took advantage of the only Sonic down here - chocolate banana milkshake!
@beanjuice - I had Fusili gigante al forno. It was magnifico!
@terrysimpson - pork loin dry rub off a rotisserie with mustard chutney and green beans with Ariz. pine nuts.
Not a bad haul, eh?
If you want more, check out this gallery of submitted photos. Click on the individual photos to get a description: