Cloe Cabrera is the fashion and beauty reporter for the Tampa Tribune, News Channel 8 and TBO.com. Watch her style segments Thursday mornings on News Channel 8 Today and follow her on Twitter at Hot Pursuits @CloeCabrera.
Most Recent Entries
- Join The Plate Licker’s Club; Leave No Morsel Behind
- Greg And Michelle Baker To Follow The Refinery In Seminole Heights With Fodder & Shine
- Weekend Eats: Homemade Moussaka, French Fries With Cheese Gravy, Meatball Banh Mi Sandwiches
- The Sip: Drinking In ‘The Great Gatsby’ With Martinis And Mint Julep.
- Mouth Safari: The Stein & Vine Brings Great Eats, Outstanding Drinks To Valrico
- Weekend Eats: Pork Tonkotsu Ramen, Spicy Chicken And Waffles, Oysters With Crispy Shallots
- The Underbelly Tour Devours Central Avenue Restaurants In St. Petersburg
- Hot Rod’s BBQ In Lutz Serves Up It’s Last Plate Of Barbecue Fruit Bat. Or Whatever It Was.
- Hank Shaw - Hunter, Gardener, Fisherman, Cook - Wins A James Beard Award
- Gary and Amy Moran Out At Wimauma Restaurant In South Tampa
- This Is Tampa Style. This Is Who We Are. Take It And Eat It.
- Weekend Eats: Snickers Flapjack, Thai Donuts, Sushi On The Beach
- The Sip: The Best That A Very Thirsty Tampa Has To Drink
- Rooster & The Till; Seminole Heights To Get New Restaurant
- Weekend Eats: Nutella Latte, Foie Gras Wagyu Burger, Rootini
Local jewelry designer shares her “Own Little Universe” with the stars
Posted Jun 23, 2010 by Cloe Cabrera
Updated Jun 23, 2010 at 06:13 PM
Alot of us watch award shows to see what celebrities will wear. I know I do.
Tampa jewelry designer Katie Elderkin watches to see if a celebrity will wear her—her jewelry line of jewelry that is.
That was the case earlier this month when Elderkin offered her “My Own Little Universe” jewelry collection in the Guest Lounge at the MTV Movie Awards, where an array of vendors set up shop and let stars choose something they like; and could possibly wear during the MTV Movie Awards.
A number of recognizable faces picked up Elderkin’s offerings, including “Project Runway” Season 4 winner Christiano Sirinao, who walked away wearing a leather and silver studded necklace, and Katharine McPhee of “American Idol,” who rehearsed in a mixed medal necklace with a vintage key accent. She also got to meet cast members from “True Blood,” “Glee” and “24” and “Twilight,” when they stopped by to peruse her offerings.
“It was such a cool experience,” says Elderkin of the trip to Los Angeles.
Elderkin started making jewelry last year as a hobby. She uses mixed medal and stones and reworks vintage pieces for the collection, which includes necklaces, earrings and rings.
After she was featured in Bust Magazine in May, MTV officials contacted her to take part in the two-day event held in conjunction with the MTV Movie Awards.
“My jewelry has a “rocker-chic” feel they felt was perfectly suited for the show,” said Elderkin, who works as a graphic artist. “I was really excited about the opportunity.”
Prices for Elderkin’s pieces average around $50 to $70.
Since her appearance at the Movie Awards, she’s been contacted by several celebrity stylists about her collection. She’s also in talks with a “Dancing with the Stars” celeb about featuring some of her pieces on a new show. (Though she’s keeping hush about the celeb until it becomes final).
“The experience was amazing,” adds Elderkin about rubbing shoulders with the stars. “It was such a growing experience for me putting myself out there like that. Instead of just a hobby, I feel I can take this somewhere. It was extremely encouraging.”
Elderkin’s collection can be purchased at http://www.myownlittleuniverse.etsy.com