The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- And Now, A Look Back At Year 2014 [Back To The Food Future]
- Behold This Year’s Crazy Florida State Fair Food [Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger, Step Aside]
- The Best Things I Ate In 2013, Part 2 [And Some Of Your Favorite Flavors As Well ]
- The Best Things I Ate In 2013, Part 1 [Thanks For The Calories]
- A Little Sumthin’ Sumthin’ Extra For Santa [Up On The Rooftop, Snack, Snack, Snack]
- Epicurean Hotel, One Week From Opening, Tantalizes With Details [Goat Cheese On The Mini-Bar]
- A Word Or Two About Great Bar Food [And The Golden Snacky Award Goes To…]
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
Hooters To Host World Chicken Wing Eating Championship [More Than A Mouthful]
Posted Jul 18, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Jul 18, 2012 at 02:01 PM
In case you were unaware, the fine people at Hooters would like you to know about a landmark food event taking place next week at their original store in Clearwater:
If you love chicken wings, this is your Super Bowl:
THE GREATEST EATERS IN THE WORLD WILL HEAD TO CLEARWATER, FL—HOME OF THE ORIGINAL HOOTERS LOCATION—FOR THE HOOTERS WORLD WING-EATING CHAMPIONSHIP!
Chicken wing expert, Hooters of America, LLC, announced that it has engaged Major League Eating (MLE) to sanction and produce a circuit of wing-eating contests across the United States that will conclude at the Hooters Wing-Eating World Championship in Clearwater, FL. The finale will take place on July 26th.
“For nearly 30 years Hooters has been known for our original, world-famous hot wings and it’s only natural that we establish this inaugural coast-to-coast wing-eating competition,” said David Henninger, chief marketing officer, Hooters of America, LLC. “At Hooters, we’re all about great food, great fun and this competition exemplifies that spirit.”
The Hooters Wing-Eating World Championship tour kicked off in Augusta, Ga., host city of the Masters Golf Tournament, on April 5 with Sonya “The Black Widow” Thomas. Weighing in at a mere 100 pounds, “The Black Widow” is the world’s top-ranked female eater and current five-time National Buffalo Wing-Eating Champion.
Hooters will hold 10 wing-eating qualifiers across the country before crowning the first Hooters Wing-Eating World Champion in Clearwater, FL.
1st - $7,500
2nd - $3,000
3rd - $2,000
4th - $1,000
5th - $750
6th - $500
7th - $250
Finalists have not yet been announced. When they are, I will be sure to share them here.
I know this: It will be a spectacle. In Jacksonville, Adrian Morgan threw down 150 of those bad boys.
And now, a gratuitous shot of chicken wings at the recently renovated Clearwater location: