The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- A Word Or Two About Great Bar Food [And The Golden Snacky Award Goes To…]
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
- Elevage Pops-Up, Offers Taste Of Epicurean Hotel [Duck Duck Goose Burger Blows Minds]
- Where To Eat Outdoors Now That It’s Not 1,000 Degrees [East Hillsborough Edition]
- James Villas’ New Book ‘Southern Fried’ Should Be Battered, Eaten [Everything Crunchy Is Good]
- Prepping For A Pop-Up [Chad Johnson Turns SideBern’s Into Elevage For One Week]
- Putting The Wine [And Other Drinkables] Into The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- FishHawk Loses Park Square Cellar [Mary And Shawn Sarkisian Get Their Lives Back]
‘Food Paradise’ Drops By Datz [Jalapeno-Bacon-Mac-&-Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf Gets Its Close-up]
Posted Jul 26, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Jul 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Dropped by yesterday afternoon to check out the filming of a “Food Paradise” episode at Datz restaurant in South Tampa.
If you haven’t been to Datz, think of it as Willie Wonka with attention-deficit. Lots of magnificent, fantastical ideas - Carrot Cake Pancakes, anyone? - executed extremely well.
Their signature dish: The jalapeno-bacon-mac-&-cheese-stuffed meatloaf.
Take a gander at that for a moment. (Thx to Barry C. at Foodspotting for the pic.)
All done? I know. Hard to look away from.
Anyway, the video crew showed up at about 4:30 p.m. yesterday to make some TV magic.
Chef Jason Dame went through the paces of adding all the ingredients. Over and over. And over.
If you’ve ever been to a TV taping, you’re familiar with the glamorous nature of doing the same thing a million times in a row.
Owners Suzanne and Roger Perry told the story of how they were looking for a great meatloaf recipe and found one in Andrew Carmellini‘s most recent book.
Then Datz did what Datz does: They Datzified it by blinging it out with mac & cheese and other goodness.
No word on the air date for the show. I suggest you DVR “Food Paradise” from now until eternity. Just to be safe.
Here is a gallery of photos I shot yesterday at the taping: