The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- And Now, A Look Back At Year 2014 [Back To The Food Future]
- Behold This Year’s Crazy Florida State Fair Food [Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger, Step Aside]
- The Best Things I Ate In 2013, Part 2 [And Some Of Your Favorite Flavors As Well ]
- The Best Things I Ate In 2013, Part 1 [Thanks For The Calories]
- A Little Sumthin’ Sumthin’ Extra For Santa [Up On The Rooftop, Snack, Snack, Snack]
- Epicurean Hotel, One Week From Opening, Tantalizes With Details [Goat Cheese On The Mini-Bar]
- A Word Or Two About Great Bar Food [And The Golden Snacky Award Goes To…]
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
First Tastes: Edison Food + Drink Lab [Duck Confit Foie Gras Tacos, Sweet Jalapeno Cracker Jacks]
Posted Aug 21, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Aug 22, 2012 at 01:02 PM
That there is jalapeno-flavored salted caramel popcorn.
I enjoyed that delicacy four times in the past two weeks at the new edison food + drink lab that opened Tuesday on Kennedy Boulevard in Tampa.
Before we discuss this further, allow me to uppercase the restaurant name.
Edison Food + Drink Lab.
There. I feel better now.
Anyway, this is chef Jeannie Pierola‘s newest restaurant, after raising and closing four editions of her Kitchenbar pop-up around south Tampa, including at this location.
The theme this time is experimentation and the marriage of food and inspiration and electricity and science.
KEY VISUAL INDICATOR OF AFOREMENTIONED THEME:
Sunflower in a beaker? Very cool. Industrial. All sciencey. Somewhere in the universe, Alton Brown no doubt approves.
SECOND VISUAL INDICATOR TO THEME:
I’ll take “Electrical Words” for $1,000, Alex.
I’m such a font nerd. Love this wall.
If you dig that, you’ll love the main menu, which looks like an experiment task sheet.
And the dessert menu? Dig the tastebud diagram, featuring our good friend umami.
Anyway, I’ve eaten there four times in two weeks. I keep finding new flavors to groove on.
My favorite dishes thus far?
Chicken liver mousse with pistachio, apricot and sansho peppercorn.
Fried oyster and bacon po’ boy with kimchee, oyster kewpie and hand-cut fries.
Maple-glazed sweetbread ‘old fashioned’; Knob creek bourbon glaze, orange pecan salad, house maraschino cherries.
These puffy potato chips which came as a side with the French dip sandwich.
Hollow on the inside, they were delicate and extra potato-y. I could eat them until my teeth fell out.
Edison Food + Drink Lab
912 W. Kennedy Blvd., Tampa
HOURS: 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday - Thursday
11:30 a.m. to midnight Friday and Saturday
Here’s a gallery of photos I shot: