The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- Generation Food Truck Goes For Guinness World Record For Food Trucks In Tampa
- The Sip: Dawn Heidemann Represents Tampa in New York City At The ‘Bartending Olympics’
- Bill Walsh: Author, Copy Editor, Language Snob Who Finds Plenty Of Peeves On The Menu
- An Inconvenient Convenience Store Truth: Mom-And-Pop Shops Are More Fun
- Weekend Eats: Grouper Tacos, Deviled Eggs With Truffled Salt, Birch Beer Cupcakes
- Join The Plate Licker’s Club; Leave No Morsel Behind
- Greg And Michelle Baker To Follow The Refinery In Seminole Heights With Fodder & Shine
- Weekend Eats: Homemade Moussaka, French Fries With Cheese Gravy, Meatball Banh Mi Sandwiches
- The Sip: Drinking In ‘The Great Gatsby’ With Martinis And Mint Julep.
- Mouth Safari: The Stein & Vine Brings Great Eats, Outstanding Drinks To Valrico
- Weekend Eats: Pork Tonkotsu Ramen, Spicy Chicken And Waffles, Oysters With Crispy Shallots
- The Underbelly Tour Devours Central Avenue Restaurants In St. Petersburg
- Hot Rod’s BBQ In Lutz Serves Up It’s Last Plate Of Barbecue Fruit Bat. Or Whatever It Was.
- Hank Shaw - Hunter, Gardener, Fisherman, Cook - Wins A James Beard Award
- Gary and Amy Moran Out At Wimauma Restaurant In South Tampa
Crab Fries, Squid-Ink Pasta, Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
Posted Jun 26, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Jun 26, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Let’s face it: it was a weird weekend. At least it was in Florida, where Mother Nature decided to do her laundry via Tropical Storm Debby.
My goodness, what a drubbing.
Which explains this Weekend Eats submission by Tampa meteorologist Megan Hatton:
@MEGANHATTON - A Luna Bar. One. While covering severe weather.
When a fitness bar is your best eats of the weekend, you know it’s been stressful.
Still, many hearty souls pushed through their rain tolerance to enjoy great meals.
Like Twitter friend Lauren C., who goes by @LCTampa on Twitter. She enjoyed the dish pictured above: Scallops in gumbo and creamy polenta off the tasting menu this past Saturday at SideBern’s in Tampa.
All together now: DANNNGGGGGGG!
How delicious does her dish look? Delicious enough to keep me from giving myself the prize this week.
I mean, LOOK at this little bit of perfection:
That there is the Japa Dog and a Bahn Mi Dog from Tako Cheena in Orlando. Full of crunch and great freshness, it’s matched only by the sweet Asian sausage used as the dog on the bun.
My goodness. I want to weep kewpie mayonnaise tears just thinking of them.
Alas, though, Lauren takes this week’s top prize:
Might I suggest making the Korean glazed short ribs with sesame and Asian pear?
As usual, the competition was stiff this week.
Here’s this week’s Gallery of Noms:
Be sure to check out the Weekend Eats Hall of Fame on Pinterest.