The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
- Elevage Pops-Up, Offers Taste Of Epicurean Hotel [Duck Duck Goose Burger Blows Minds]
- Where To Eat Outdoors Now That It’s Not 1,000 Degrees [East Hillsborough Edition]
- James Villas’ New Book ‘Southern Fried’ Should Be Battered, Eaten [Everything Crunchy Is Good]
- Prepping For A Pop-Up [Chad Johnson Turns SideBern’s Into Elevage For One Week]
- Putting The Wine [And Other Drinkables] Into The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- FishHawk Loses Park Square Cellar [Mary And Shawn Sarkisian Get Their Lives Back]
- The Poor Porker Branches Out With New Ventures, Locations [Lakelandia Meets Portlandia]
Chowing Down At Gasparilla Music Festival [Local Food With Your Groove]
Posted Mar 7, 2013 by Jeff Houck
Updated Mar 7, 2013 at 05:04 PM
The way Ty Rodriguez sees it, there isn’t much sense in holding a music festival featuring local musicians and then feeding the audience food that was interchangeable with any other large event.
So Rodriguez, the Gasparilla Music Festival’s executive director, stacked the day-long event with top notch local restaurants.
The move toward more local food is linked to Rodriguez’s work in the restaurant industry. Before overseeing the festival, he was general manager at Café Dufrain on Harbor Island and, before that, general manager at Mise En Place on Kennedy Boulevard.
Leading the diverse menu of food options will be the award-winning restaurant The Refinery from Seminole Heights which will serve Thai-flavored pulled pork tacos.
3 Suns Bistro plans to offer organic nachos, curry and pulled pork. The Independent from Seminole Heights will serve bratwurst, German pretzels and grilled cheese and Tun-du-ree Indian restaurant will offer curry platters and wraps.
Restaurants which rarely do festival events also plan to serve. Ella’s Americana Folkart Café has chicken and waffles with Key lime pie cups for dessert. Malio’s Prime Steakhouse is selling Steak Sandwiches. And because it wouldn’t be Tampa without Cuban food, Café Hey in Tampa Heights is serving Cuban sandwiches and Pipo’s Cafe will feature mojo-marinated pork sandwiches, Cuban tamales and rice and beans.
Even the beer vendors are local for 2013’s festival. Cigar City Brewing and Yuengling of Tampa will pour along with Saint Somewhere of Tarpon Springs, which has brewed a special beer for the event called “Hella.” Brewmaster Bob Sylvester will be tapping the beer at 1:30 p.m. at the festival’s beer garden.
Here is the full list of food vendors at the festival and their planned:
3 Suns Bistro - Nachos, Currey & Pulled Pork
Cafe Hey - Cuban Sandwiches
Dochos - Fries & Fried Delights
Ella’s - Chicken & Waffles and Key Lime Pie Cups
Holy Hog BBQ Food Truck - Smoked Riblets, Jalapeno Mac N Cheese
Hot Donut Cart - Donuts & Coffee
The Independent - Bratwurst, German Pretzels & Grilled Cheese
Kona Ice - Tropical Ice
Louis Pappas Market Cafe - Gyros, Hummus, Pappas Potato Salad
Malio’s Prime Steakhouse - Steak Sandwiches
Pipo’s Cafe - Mojo Pork Sandwiches, Cuban Tamales & Rice and Beans
The Poor Porker - (Pictured above) Fresh Beignets
Stinky Bunz - Chicken Bulgogi, Chili Beef & Pork Bunz
The Refinery - Thai Pulled Pork Tacos
Tun-du-ree - Curry Platters & Wraps
Your Pie Pizza Food Truck - Pizza