The Tampa Tribune’s food writer since 2005, Jeff Houck covers the way people live through their food. He also hosts the Table Conversations food podcast and believes that everything crunchy is good.
Most Recent Entries
- Join The Plate Licker’s Club; Leave No Morsel Behind
- Greg And Michelle Baker To Follow The Refinery In Seminole Heights With Fodder & Shine
- Weekend Eats: Homemade Moussaka, French Fries With Cheese Gravy, Meatball Banh Mi Sandwiches
- The Sip: Drinking In ‘The Great Gatsby’ With Martinis And Mint Julep.
- Mouth Safari: The Stein & Vine Brings Great Eats, Outstanding Drinks To Valrico
- Weekend Eats: Pork Tonkotsu Ramen, Spicy Chicken And Waffles, Oysters With Crispy Shallots
- The Underbelly Tour Devours Central Avenue Restaurants In St. Petersburg
- Hot Rod’s BBQ In Lutz Serves Up It’s Last Plate Of Barbecue Fruit Bat. Or Whatever It Was.
- Hank Shaw - Hunter, Gardener, Fisherman, Cook - Wins A James Beard Award
- Gary and Amy Moran Out At Wimauma Restaurant In South Tampa
- This Is Tampa Style. This Is Who We Are. Take It And Eat It.
- Weekend Eats: Snickers Flapjack, Thai Donuts, Sushi On The Beach
- The Sip: The Best That A Very Thirsty Tampa Has To Drink
- Rooster & The Till; Seminole Heights To Get New Restaurant
- Weekend Eats: Nutella Latte, Foie Gras Wagyu Burger, Rootini
Caramel Apple Cake, Succulent Sweetbreads, Mango Pops [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
Posted Jul 10, 2012 by Jeff Houck
Updated Jul 10, 2012 at 01:17 PM
We don’t respond to threats.
We don’t take kindly to bragging.
Except when it’s cute and laced with sarcasm.
Which is how I interpreted this tweet by @lillyj this week in advance of her Weekend Eats submission:
See? Cute. Just a little bit of the rough side - her bad word for a female dog was redacted by me - without too much that it comes off as obnoxious. That is @lillyj in a nut shell.
The challenge with bragging that much?
You then have to back it up.
Which usually isn’t something she has a problem doing.
In the years that I’ve gotten to know Lilly online through our “Top Chef” live-tweets on Twitter, she’s impressed me as hilarious, fearless and, more importantly, dead-on accurate.
So there is rarely a reason to doubt her statements.
This would be one of those times.
Lilly threw down a double-barreled barrage of goodness with her submissions this week that would be hard for even the most accomplished gastro-explorer to top.
That there? That would be ‘Duck fat fries + duck stock & foie gravy + cheese curds + duck confit = heart-stopping poutine.”
Wait. That’s insufficient.
:::: room spinning ::::
That wasn’t enough for her. Her second dish:
Lilly says this was a “foie gras double-down at @joebeef. It was so rich I had to cancel my dinner plans the next day.”
That sounds familiar.
Where have we heard that before?
KFC’s bunless little artery clogger.
Well, I guess if you’re going to send your heart to hell, you might as well do it with delicious food.
For her death-defying meal, Lilly enters the Weekend Eats Hall of Fame on Pinterest and earns this cool prize:
She gets a copy of Robin Shulman‘s book “Eat the City: A Tale of the Fishers, Foragers, Butchers, Farmers, Poultry Minders, Sugar Refiners, Cane Cutters, Beekeepers, Winemakers, and Brewers Who Built New York.” It’s a fascinating read. I’m sure she’ll enjoy it.
Her competition this week - besides herself - included:
@flmnca - Grilled Veal chops with corn on the cobb and chipotle sweet potato fries - no leftovers!
@RealTimWilkins - Spicy porkloin with a blueberry reduction… and Mexican veggie ragout. Exploring!
If you think those are droolworthy, check out this week’s Gallery of Noms. Click on each photo to see a description. Be sure to glance longingly at the tequila-flavored Twinkies.