Cloe Cabrera is the fashion and beauty reporter for the Tampa Tribune, News Channel 8 and TBO.com. Watch her style segments Thursday mornings on News Channel 8 Today and follow her on Twitter at Hot Pursuits @CloeCabrera.
Most Recent Entries
- And Now, A Look Back At Year 2014 [Back To The Food Future]
- Behold This Year’s Crazy Florida State Fair Food [Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger, Step Aside]
- The Best Things I Ate In 2013, Part 2 [And Some Of Your Favorite Flavors As Well ]
- The Best Things I Ate In 2013, Part 1 [Thanks For The Calories]
- A Little Sumthin’ Sumthin’ Extra For Santa [Up On The Rooftop, Snack, Snack, Snack]
- Epicurean Hotel, One Week From Opening, Tantalizes With Details [Goat Cheese On The Mini-Bar]
- A Word Or Two About Great Bar Food [And The Golden Snacky Award Goes To…]
- This Haiku Contest/Is All About The Fruitcake/Get To Writing, Stat! [Guess Who’s Judging?]
- Five Edible Christmas Gifts To Buy For Friends and Loved Ones [Black Friday Comes Just Once A Year]
- Giving Thanks For Alternatives To Thanksgiving [Turkey, Shmurkey.]
- Taking A Bite Of The Pillsbury Bake-Off [Fear And Baking In Las Vegas]
- Sea Urchin Crostini, Tiger Beef Salad And Faked Alaska [This Week’s Weekend Eats]
- A Way To Eat Kale For People Who Hate Kale [Chef John Besh Cooks From The Heart]
- The Sip: 3 Daughters Brewing Comes To Live [Pumpkin Tap, Carmel Cafe Cocktails, Great Sips]
- Remembering Marcella Hazan [The Most Important Ingredient]
Kiss those unsightly big-girl panties goodbye!
Posted May 26, 2011 by Cloe Cabrera
Updated May 26, 2011 at 05:53 PM
Shapewear has long played a supporting role in fashion, smoothing thighs, eliminating bra bulge and putting a little less jiggle in your wiggle.
But an increasing number of designers are building the shapewear right into their clothes, so women no longer have to fear that passion-killing moment (a la “Bridget Jones”) when those ponderous panties are revealed.
Shani Grosz is the latest to offer control in her clothing designs. Her new line, called Nue by Shani (http://www.nuebyshani.com), offers casual and cocktail dresses designed to do away with the age-old question: Does this dress make me look fat?
“A woman doesn’t have to think about what kind of girdle to put on underneath, what kind of control-top hose. You just zip, you’re sucked in and you’re ready to go.”
Each dress contains a layer of compression fabric—with silicone to help hold it in place—that helps smooth lumps and bumps without making you look as if you’re wearing a scuba suit.
Very stylish! YOu can find the line at Dillard’s and Dillards.com.
Lady Gaga’s spectacular shoes from “The View”
Posted May 23, 2011 by Cloe Cabrera
Updated May 26, 2011 at 05:40 PM
Just when you think Lady Gaga has given you the weirdest fashion ever, she tops herself.
Lady Gaga appeared on the “The View” Monday wearing these 18-inch platforms. She wasn’t able to walk onto the stage alone; she had to have help.
I’m waiting to see Gaga in some sensible shoes.
Bacon scented perfume? Now we’re talking.
Posted Apr 7, 2011 by Cloe Cabrera
Updated Apr 7, 2011 at 05:17 PM
A new cologne has hit the market and it’s guaranteed to make your man or woman squeal with delight. You see, the scent is designed to smell like the popular breakfast food: Bacon.
Bacōn is a new perfume by Fargginay. It’s said to contain 11 oils that release the subtle hint of swine, only better. Now, I love me some bacon. I like it fried, in sanwhiches, burgers, wrapped around a steak, you name it. I even like bacon lip balm (yes, there is such a thing). I think bacon just makes everything taste better…..smile.
The perfume comes in two versions, bacon classic and bacon gold, both retail for around $36.
Gives new meaning to the term “Eat Me.” Read more about the fragrance and watch a video at http://www.fargginay.com
Top 10 Spring bra don’ts from an intimate apparel expert
Posted Mar 22, 2011 by Cloe Cabrera
Updated Apr 7, 2011 at 04:51 PM
Warmer weather is here, and a wardrobe change is taking place. Tops and dresses are getting thinner, more sheer and little bit tighter. The last thing you want people to notice is your ta-tas.
After more than 20 yeawr in the business of fitting men and women in their undergarments, Beverly Russina, founder of http://www.123underwear.com and Beverly’s Hill intimates boutique in St. Louis, MO, offers these tips for avoiding bra blunders.
- Never wear a black bra under a white top…EVER. Unless of course you’re Lady Gaga.
- The right amount of cleavage is a very sexy thing. What’s not sexy is when too much breast tissue billows out of the top making it seem like you’re wearing a bra that’s three sizes too small (think Kim Kardashian and Wendy Williams)
- Slippery straps are a fashion no-no. They make you look sloppy and unkempt and are a clear indication that you’re bra is not working out for you.
- Don’t forget about gravity. Wearing a bra is not just a matter of appropriateness it’s a necessity. After babies, a little weight gain and general aging, your breasts are simply not what they used to be. Don’t fool yourself.
- You’ve got some very special back bulge. We’re not talking about those few extra pounds. If there is a build-up of tissue around the underarms or below your bra band, your body is screaming for a proper fitting. We’re also confident that you’re seriously uncomfortable.
- If nude isn’t an option in your undergarment drawer, you’re committing fashion atrocities left and right. Nude is the color to wear under just about everything. You should not see the outline of your bra through your top – unless you’re wearing something sheer or tying to seduce your partner—At home!
- Your summer style means that just about everyone knows what color bra you’re wearing. It’s the age old dilemma when wearing low necklines or tank tops: how to hide the top of your bra? You can try layering or double-sided fashion tape, which is a woman’s style essential. Another option is to go for a bandeau, balconette or demi bra.
- Matching the correct style of bra with your outfit. If you’re wearing a halter top or an evening dress with off the shoulder sleeves, you’ll need a corresponding bra so that the only focus is on that fabulous ensemble you’re wearing, not the bra.
- You only have two breasts. So if for some reason someone is seeing four, that’s a major concern. Generally it means that your bra is way tight and it’s pushing your breast tissue upwards creating the illusion that you’re rocking two little people on your chest.
- Stay smooth by embracing the new lace. Let’s face it - while T-shirt and contouring bras have the smoothness we need, they may lack the sexiness we desire. Sometimes lace can be a bit bulky under clingy fabrics, but many of the new three-part cup and cut and sew bras provide optimal coverage with flirty appeal. A bonus: the extra seam on these bras helps with controlling and centering breast tissue.
Check out more of Russina’s tips, and her lingerie line at http://www.123underwear.com
Prom dress donation drive helps local underprivileged girls
Posted Mar 22, 2011 by Cloe Cabrera
Updated Mar 22, 2011 at 06:03 PM
JCPenny is hosting a nationwide dress donation drive through the Wear It, Rock It, Give It campaign.
Through Saturday, April 2, all JCPenny stores will be collecting gently used prom dresses which will be donated to local afterschool charities for underprivileged girls in the community.
As a thank you to customers, JCPenny will give a 20 percent off coupon to spend on any regular or sale priced prom dress.