WFLA News Channel 8 The Tampa Tribune CentroTampa.com

TBO.com - Tampa Bay Online

Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com
Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com
Friday, Apr 18, 2014
Principal accused of molesting student, 14
Deputies say James Larkin, a principal at a school for children with mild learning disabilities, inappropriately touched the teen while the boy’s mother was out of town.
Severe thunderstorms today as system moves through Tampa
The Lightning could only watch as several shots got past goaltender Anders Lindback in Game 1, including this short-handed goal by Brian Gionta in the second period.
Bolts look to pick up pieces tonight
Deputies: Man killed son to play video games
Most Recent Entries
More
Monthly Archives
Friday, Apr 18, 2014
Principal accused of molesting student, 14
Deputies say James Larkin, a principal at a school for children with mild learning disabilities, inappropriately touched the teen while the boy’s mother was out of town.
Severe thunderstorms today as system moves through Tampa
The Lightning could only watch as several shots got past goaltender Anders Lindback in Game 1, including this short-handed goal by Brian Gionta in the second period.
Bolts look to pick up pieces tonight
Deputies: Man killed son to play video games

Strutting their family values

Posted Apr 22, 2011 by Tom Jackson

Updated Apr 22, 2011 at 01:04 AM

Sandhill cranes IThursday, just in time for Earth Day, the family of sandhill cranes that shares its year-round home with the humans who work in and around Tampa North Aero Park (including the Tribune’s Wesley Chapel outpost) made itself available for a photo opportunity.

Mom and Dad must be doing something right.  Their two chicks – the annual quota – have survived past their most vulnerable fuzzy golden down days.  This is reassuring.  I’ve seen plenty of breeding-age couples tending only a single chick this spring, and some none at all.

I mean, I know bobcats, foxes, coyotes and such have to eat.  The circle of life and all that.  Nonetheless, it tugs at the old anthropomorphic heartstrings to see adult couples with one offspring or chick-less, and to imagine their loss.

All of which makes the sighting of an intact sandhill quartet an occasion for celebration.  Thank Gaia. Sandhill cranes in the marsh

Reader Comments

Post a comment

Members:

(Requires free registration.)

Auto-login on future visits

Show my name in the online users list

Forgot your password?

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertisement